Friday, August 8, 2008

me and my mom




It all started yesterday. My kids called me at work to say they wanted to spend another night at their cousins so I instantly thought "well what am I going to do tonight?" With my husband working a 24 hour shift and knowing I had to eventually grab the dog at home, it left me a little limited, but not completely out of luck.
So I called my dad's cell looking for my mom and he said she was just getting out of the shower. That was good sign. It meant she was done in the garden and most likely didn't have anything else on her agenda for the night. While I waited for her to come to the phone, my mind started racing. Should I ask her to the thrift stores? No, we can do that any day. English Gardens? Maybe. Then it hit me. Partridge Creek. We could take the dogs to Partridge Creek and do some shopping. ... But I think that is where I went wrong ... trying the whole clever thinking thing. (It's kinda like forward thinking, only not)

I made it home safely, (which is good because even that can be a challenge sometimes) But just then I realized:
I forgot my purse at work
Which had my debit card...
and my license...
and my gas card...
and the car was on E.
Ok, actually I realized it after I stopped to talk to my neighbor (even though I was in a hurry it was my only chance to ask him for some seeds from his beautiful flowers.)
Soon thereafter, I was on the road with Quincy in the passenger seat. I kept feeling the need to tell him to put his seat belt on, all the while saying a short prayer that I make it on the gas that I had.

Eventually, I picked up my mom and we made it to Partridge Creek to shop but not before:
Quincy fell in the pond (sorry, dad)
and got the car all wet on the way
and fought with Sophie in the backseat at the gas station
Annnnddd pooped in the middle of the walkway intersection at the mall (with a metrosexual guy yelling "don't you carry your little bags around with you?")

By the time my mom and I got back to her house (after a mere hour of window shopping at very fast pace, because the dogs needed to smell everything - AND FAST) we were completely exhausted that I didn't even come in for a glass of wine. (Now that's exhausted)

Our galavanting didn't end there, but the 3 ring circus did, thank God. We talked about an estate sale the next morning and what time we would meet. Now, with estate sales, most companies put pictures on a website, so you can see ahead of time whether or not it will be worthwhile and from the pictures, I could tell it it was worth getting out of bed to go stand in line for a number.

I ended up getting some vintage maps and postcards and my mom got some 1930's wrought iron patio chairs. I might go back tomorrow and see what is 1/2 price. I even thought of asking if I could dig up some of their flowers for my own. One thing I know what I won't do - bring Quincy.

No comments: